Post-doctoral Research Fellowship in Islamic rational theology / philosophy (kalām /falsafa) (Aix-Marseille)
Post-doctoral Research Fellowship in Islamic rational theology / philosophy (kalām /falsafa)
Centre Paul-Albert Février TDMAM (CNRS/Aix-Marseille University)
MMSH – 5, rue du Château de l’horloge – BP 647 – 13094 – Aix-en-Provence Cedex 2
- 00 33 (0)4 42 52 43 32
General information :
Workplace: Aix-en-Provence, France
Date of publication: 28/05/2019
Type of contract: FTC Scientist
Contract period: 12 months (renewable once)
Expected date of employment: 01/01/2020
Proportion of work: Full time
Remuneration: indicative gross monthly remuneration ranging from 2600 € to 3007 €
Desired level of education: PhD / Experience required: from 1 to 4 years
Project Description :
The successful candidate is expected to undertake her/his research in the framework of the international “Galen in Arabic (GAIA) – More than a Translation”. GAIA is a joint project funded by the French National Research Agency (ANR) and the Austrian Science Fund (FWF). It brings together the following partners: Centre Paul-Albert Février (UMR 7297), University of Vienna, French Institute for the Near-East (IFPO), Centre Jean Pépin (UMR 8230). The main researchers responsible for GAIA are Pauline Koetschet and Elvira Wakelnig. GAIA aims at investigating the interactions between three intellectual strands of the Islamicate world in the 9th and 10th centuries: the reception of the Greek medical, early Arabic philosophy (falsafa) and early Islamic theology (kalām). The project focuses on two main areas: epistemology and semiology.
GAIA covers the following aspects: 1. The reception and transformation of Galenic philosophical and medical ideas. The project pays particular attention to the reception of Galen’s Method of Treatment. 2. Stressing the interrelations between medicine, falsafa and kalām. GAIA wants to show not only the antagonism and rivalry between philosophy and science on the one hand and kalām on the other, but also and primarily the parallelism and the circulation of ideas between these two fields, which surface in kalām-texts on logic, epistemology and language.
– We are primarily looking for applications that will enrich the second aspect mentioned above, and especially the study of kalām in the ninth and tenth centuries. However, applications relevant to any aspect of the project are welcome.
– The successful candidate is expected to publish articles in relation with the second primary focus of GAIA.
– She/he is further expected to participate in the overall activities of the project and to take part in the scientific life of Centre Paul Albert Février (Aix-en-Provence).
– Specialisation in Arabic philosophy/philology/rational theology (PhD level).
– Speaking, writing and oral comprehension of French and English.
– Linguistic skills in Arabic (reading, editing ancient texts).
– Experience in drafting and publishing scientific articles.
– Knowledge of new technologies: research blog on the platform Hypothèses; knowledge of the word-processor Classical Text Editor.
Work environment :
The Centre Paul-Albert Février (CPAF) carries out interdisciplinary research on the history of texts and of religions. It brings together specialists of philology, linguistics, history, philosophy, Ancient Greek, Latin, Arabic, Hebrew, Sanskrit. It belongs to the Maison méditerranéenne des sciences de l’homme (MMSH) in Aix-en-Provence. The successful candidate will work in collaboration with a team located in three places: Beirut, Vienna, Paris. She/he will have to be able to conduct his research autonomously but also able to work collaboratively.
Application form :
– CV and cover-letter.
– Research project (maximum of five pages).
– A sample of their research.
– A copy of the PhD diploma or of the attestation of defence.
– Names and contact info of 2 academic referees.
The application form must be sent to Pauline Koetschet before August 31, 2019
For further enquiries, contact Pauline Koetschet (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Envoyé par : KOCH Isabelle <email@example.com>
|Répondre en mode Web||•||Répondre à expéditeur||•||Répondre à groupe||•||Nouvelle discussion||•||Toute la discussion(1)|
Pour envoyer un message sur la liste, envoyez-le à :